Monday, May 14, 2007

Biblical Unity

Our pastor is concluding a 4-part series on "biblical" church unity. He began in Romans with chapter 14 and finished this past Sunday in chapter 15:7-13. It was a fantastic sermon to end a wonderful series.

I always have great intentions for note-taking but I fall short just about the time Samuel starts to convulse and beg for fruit snacks through his gritted teeth. Basically I am able to listen but my note-taking goes out the window. My hands stay busy if you know what I mean.....and this past Sunday my hands were busy trying to dig a plastic lizard out from my blouse.

When we first began coming to Grace Fellowship we could not contain our enthusiasm for the preaching. Still can't. It is a blessing to our lives and a true gift from God. The preaching is expository...straight from the Bible. Life application? A bit, but only to point to the text. Relevant to our culture? Sure....the word of God always has been and always will be, but our pastor does not shape the message based on current events. Some have visited our church and been uncomfortable with the "radical" preaching. They were concerned that new believers or non-believers would be either offended or completely lost in the deep theology of *doctrine*.

Ahem...

This is a small portion of Emma's notes from Sunday. She is in the 4th grade. We don't have a Power Point or a note sheet. Neither Chris nor I took notes on Sunday.

























Radical or not, I think the girl's got the gist of it...don't you?

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Go Emma!!

Kim said...

Great notes! She pretty much sums it up for us all!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Lisa Hellier said...

I attend a similar church where expository preaching exalting God and the doctrines of His Word is the point. What joy to hear my 3 sons discuss what they've learned, to lament when we can't attend, and to grow up in His truth. They're all under 10 years old.

God's Word is powerful.

Christina said...

Amen! We just switched to a church where the pastor preaches like that. Powerful! It is a great thing to feel convicted by a sermon because of God's word, but to also feel joy knowing that God is working in my life to make me more like Him.

Anonymous said...

She 'gets' it! I love it when that happens!!!

Tiff

Anonymous said...

Praying for more pastors to preach this way...